Search This Blog

Monday, September 30, 2013

How to spell Newspaper


"How do you spell 'newspaper?'  Vince asked no one in particular.  Then, in answer to his own question, he began to spell --  "N-E-W-S-P-A-P-E-R."

Vince is a pretty good speller.  I am not certain exactly how he chooses the words he learns.  He can spell words like "engine," and "Thomas" and "fire truck." 

It is pretty handy to be a good speller, but I know plenty of people who aren't.  I suppose with the prevalence of spell checking on computers, it isn't that big a deal any more.

In Jesus' day, it was different.  They didn't have computers, or software.  They did have tablets, but no batteries to put in them.  And most people did not learn to read or, write -- much less spell hard words like "fire truck" and "newspaper."

It tells us of the early disciples that while they were uneducated men, they still spoke with power.  It was the fact that they had been with Jesus that made all of the difference for them.

I am grateful for my education and that I have had the opportunity to learn much.  I can spell words that are much longer than "newspaper."  In fact, I can spell words like olfactory and erudition, without consulting a dictionary.

But, I do not want people to know me for my spelling.  I want people to know of me, that I am Jesus's disciple.

No comments:

Post a Comment