Search This Blog

Friday, October 4, 2013

Saying Goodbye



It is the end of September and I am saying "goodbye."  I am saying goodbye to a lot of different things, but one of the ones I notice the most are the hummingbirds at my feeders.

No longer do they settle on the feeders, fighting their tiny air battles in the sweltering heat over the sweet water that I put out for them.  Nor are these local birds.  Instead they seem to hum with a Canadian accent, fleeing from the already frosty weather up north.

They take quick drinks and then, they are away again.  Only in the mornings and evenings do my tiny friends linger a little while over the feeders.

And I know that in just a little while, I will put my  feeders away, because there are no more hummingbirds to come.  Only slate gray skies will follow, as winter moves into our county.

I say good bye to these tiny birds, who please so much with their darting, rapid flights.  And I know that life is about good byes and most of them are a lot harder to experience than simply missing a departing humming bird.

At the same time, partings are only temporary.  The hummingbirds will return in the spring and even loved ones who die in the Lord, will be seen in a fairer land some day.

So, I prefer to say "Hasta luego," rather than "adios."  Whether to hummingbirds, who I hope to see again next spring or, to friends and family.

I would that I would see each one of them again at Jesus' side, if not before.  And once we are there, there will be no more good byes.

No comments:

Post a Comment