Search This Blog

Saturday, May 2, 2020

Should a Christian Wear a Mask?


"I like my mask better than yours," Elliot told his sister, Victoria.  "It has tractors on it!"

"Yours is ugly!"  Victoria said in a definitive voice. 

Elaine made masks for our children, although at this point, since they haven't really gone anywhere, they haven't really had any reason to wear them.

It seems as though this week, the subject of masks is the hot topic.  The idea that businesses might ask their customers to wear them somehow seems unamerican.

The whole point of masks is not to prevent the wearer from catching COVID -- for that you would need a fit tested N-95 mask.  The idea is to reduce the viral shedding of asymptomatic carriers of Coronarvirus and prevent them from being Typhoid Marys within their communities.

Many are stating pretty firmly that this infringes on their rights and that their liberties are being stolen away.  I read this and I can understand this perspective, however, a different question keeps coming to me.  "What should my response as a Christian be to such a request?"

As I thought about this, my mind was drawn to I Corinthians chapter 8.  At first glance, this has nothing to do with wearing masks in a Corona-Crisis.  It speaks only to the question of whether the Corinthian Christians should eat meat offered to idols.

The Apostle Paul explains carefully that he doesn't think it is that big a deal.  He doesn't think that these idols are really gods at all.  His conscience is not bothered by eating this meat.  He feels liberty to eat whatever he wants -- regardless of what happened to it before it was set before him.

All well and good and probably where most American Christians would come down on the subject -- in favor of individual liberty.  The only thing is that Paul doesn't stop there.  He has realized that life isn't only about him, it is also about his weaker brother.  Verses 11 and 13 say, "So by your knowledge this weak person is destroyed, the brother for whom Christ died... Therefore, if food makes my brother to stumble, I will never eat meat lest I make my brother stumble."

The Apostle Paul did not only think about his rights, his conscience, and his liberty.  He had to think about his weaker brother and his weakness.

This feels like the Christian response.  I need to look at the needs of the weakest in my community and make certain that they are met, even if I forego some of my rights as a result.

If my Savior was able to bend down one evening and wash the dirty feet of His disciples, surely I can wear a mask the next time I visit a big box store.

Not for myself, but for the sake of my brothers and sisters...

10 comments:

  1. Good words! I’ve been appreciating your perspective through this time. Katrina Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, thanks for your wisdom on this subject

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your perspective. It is good to listen to biblical teaching. The problem I have with using this scripture as a persuasion for the mask is that many Christians do not believe, because of mixed messages, that there is any real protection for the weaker among us, in wearing a mask. The first advice, as this all started, was to not wear masks. They don't remember any good counsel on the subject since then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the big change in thinking is that in the beginning we thought that people without symptoms did not shed the virus. Now it is certain that they not only do, but are a large source of the current spread that we see. Wearing a mask does not prevent someone from catching covid, but it definitely can prevent them from sharing it with weaker individuals. But this is why the recommendation changed.

      Delete
  4. You quoted 1 Cor 8: verses 11 and 13 say, "So by your knowledge this weak person is destroyed, the brother for whom Christ died... Therefore, if food makes my brother to stumble, I will never eat meat lest I make my brother stumble."
    How is this issue with the mask causing a person to 'stumble'. Stumbled into what? Lack of Faith? I for one do no wear them. One, I believe God will protect and I've bleed the blood over my door posts. Secondly, This is a test of our faith. How much do you trust God during this pandemic. How much are we leaning NOT to our own understanding but HIS. No masks here 'cause I'm in a win-win situation. If I get it and He heals me from it PRAISE GOD. If I get it and He takes me Home GLORY BE TO GOD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I wasn't clear. The point of masks is not to prevent you from getting COVID. You can do that if you wish and win-win as you desire. The point of masks is to prevent you from spreading droplets containing virus around after you "win" and before you have symptoms and infect some older individual who wants to stick around for their grandchildren to remember them as they grow up or whatever. The point is totally not about you but about that other person. I'm sorry if you choose not to see that.

      Delete
    2. I cannot understand this way of thinking by Christians. I am a born-again believer and certainly trust in God, but what about others who do not know God? Is it fine to just irresponsibly spread the virus by refusing to wear a mask just because I know where I am going if I get it and die? God forbid! As Christians we are to show our love and concern for the well-being of others, sometimes sacrificially. There is no glory in saying this is a test of our faith if we are being such a poor witness to others by not showing concern for their well-being. The mask is to prevent YOU from spreading the virus to others.

      Delete