Search This Blog

Friday, September 6, 2013

Zucchini Crisp



Elaine made zucchini crisp the other day.  I think it was supposed to taste a lot like apple crisp which it did.  If this was Facebook, I would immediately post the recipe and request everyone to share it, but it isn't.

As I was eating it, I wondered a little about it.  Why make zucchini crisp that tastes 90 percent like apple crisp, when you could just peel some apples and have apple crisp instead?

The answer is pretty clear.  We have a couple of apple trees planted, but they aren't big enough to bear fruit yet.  But our zucchinis have been multiplying like rabbits.  In fact, most rabbits have nothing on our zucchini plants!

Just a couple of days before, Elaine told me that she had used up all of the zucchinis in the house by making relish.  Then I went up to the garden and found five more big ones.

I am convinced that God created zucchinis just so that even bad gardeners do not give up all hope.  Other than squash bugs, there just isn't much that can spoil a zucchini harvest.  But is awfully easy to get tired, even frustrated when there is "too much" of a blessing.

When life gives you lemons, I have heard that you are supposed to make lemonade.  On the other hand, when God blesses your garden with zucchinis, what are you to do?  The answer is to use them -- to make zucchini lasagna, zucchini brownies, or zucchini crisp (all of which I have eaten in the last couple of weeks).

For zucchinis are a blessing.  Maybe not as big a blessing as having an orchard of apple trees or, peach trees.  But honestly, I would rather enjoy the blessings we have, than wish for what we don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment