Search This Blog

Monday, September 9, 2013

Dependable


Dependable.  It's exactly what our computerized health records were supposed to be and it is exactly what they weren't for a several week span.  Whose fault it was, I have no idea.  The software people blamed the server people and the server people blamed the software folks.

It is better now, but ever since our records weren't accessible, in the back of my mind is a nagging doubt -- wondering when, not if, the computers will fail me again.

God is dependable.  The Bible uses the word "faithful" to describe Him  "The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning, great is Your faithfulness." (Lamentations 3:22,23)

To say God is dependable is completely different from saying that my electronic medical records are dependable.  My computer being dependable means that it does exactly what I want it to -- that it makes me happy, in so far as a piece of silicone and plastic and metal can.

When I say that God is dependable, I do not mean that He always does the thing that makes me happy.  What I mean is that He can be counted on to do right and to act in love.

And that is what I want.  I don't want a god like the genie from Aladdin, whose whole aim is to please me.  I want God to give me what I need to help me act like Jesus.

I know that He is Trustworthy.  Steadfast.  Dependable.  It never crosses my mind that He could be otherwise.  For, He has always been faithful to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment