Search This Blog

Friday, September 20, 2013

Word of Mouth



Martin Lindstrom was an advertising executive.  He spent quite a bit of his life trying to get people to buy products.  Then, one day, he decided to try an experiment.

Martin decided to pay a family, the Morgensons, to advertise for them.  In their typical days, as they spent time with friends and neighbors, they would specifically drop references to a variety of products that they were "using."

Martin filmed them doing this and tracked the results.  At the end of the three months, 15,000 people had been exposed to the products in southern California, through this campaign.

Many people know that "word of mouth" is the best advertising.  Few people come to see me in my office because of the large billboards I rent on the edge of town (there aren't any), but because someone they know was satisfied with the care that I provided at Comprehensive Health Care.

It is awfully easy to underestimate the power of a spoken word for Christ.  I do not consider myself an evangelist.  It is awfully easy to believe that my words wouldn't really make a difference anyway.  Nothing could be farther from the truth.

The testimony I am to share is far from an advertisement.  "Try Jesus, He'll work for you," or even "Jesus fixed my marriage, He'll fix yours too!"  No, the message I need to share is as old as the New Testament.  "Jesus Christ died for sinners, of whom I am chief."

This is a message that will resonate and spread, not because it is a catchy slogan, but because of the Spirit which accompanies it.  There are so many people in need and I can help them, touch their lives, one spoken word at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment