Search This Blog

Monday, March 24, 2014

The Source of Strength


"I'm finally feeling better," the lady sitting across from me said.  "Thank you for hanging in there with me."

Tessa had been struggling with some mental health issues and we had finally found a medication that evened things out for her.

"That's what I do," I said, a little awkwardly.

"I know," she said and looked over at the wall.  "I remember the first time I came in here.  I wasn't in this room.  In one of your other rooms you have a picture of Christ at a bedside, bringing healing."

"When I saw that picture, I knew I could trust you, because I knew who you served."

I nodded.  There is no other explanation for why I do what I do.  It isn't for altruism, or some deep inner joy.  It isn't even for some amazing love I've developed for everyone around me.  Those things are great things to have, but they have a tendency to let you down, when you are tired, low on sleep, and frustrated.

There is only One who has never let me down.  When I am standing at a bedside, with nothing more to give, no special words to say, Jesus Christ is the One who keeps me going.

And if, sometimes I can bring a little light into dark situations, it is because He has brought light to me.  When I am not enough and I want to give up, He hangs in there and keeps on giving.  That is more than enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment