Search This Blog

Monday, March 10, 2014

Lion Underwear.


"Good morning, Elliot," I said to my young son.  "What's on your underwear today?"

"Now, this may seem like an odd question to ask your child, but Elliot has just transitioned from pullups to underwear.  The day before, he had been really excited about the fact that there were lions on his underwear.

"NOOOOO!"  Elliot shouted and ran past me into his room.

"What's going on?"  I asked Elaine.

"You shouldn't have asked him that," she told me.  "He is upset that I made him take off the lion underwear and put on a different pair."

Funny how when you are three years old, it takes pretty small things to totally upset your day.  I don't know how long Elliot had planned to wear the lion underwear, but clearly his mother didn't understand that one day is not enough.

I am not three years old and I don't need to be told to change my underwear every day, but there are times that awfully little things succeed in upsetting my day.  A car in front of me drives too slowly and turns my eight minute commute into a twelve minute commute, my schedule isn't what I want, or perhaps, I just didn't have the right jelly for my toast and suddenly I am irritable for the rest of the day.

In the end, if I can just yield these small (and sometimes big things) to God, they all work out in the end.  If I don't, I find myself in the same boat as a young man who had to change his lion underwear -- and that is not a good place to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment