Search This Blog

Friday, March 21, 2014

Like Dad

I was standing in the bathroom, waiting for Elliot to do his business, when my three year old son piped up.  "Dad, I'm like you!"

"Oh?"  I said, not sure where he was going with this conversation.

"Yes, Dad," he said.  "You like Mom and I like Mom!"

I guess it is a good thing that even at three years of age, Elliot can tell that his parents are in love.  Because, he is quite right.  I do love my beautiful wife, very much.

This is not a subject that I have spent much time discussing or instructing him about.  I am not a terribly romantic husband either, always showing up with flowers and chocolates.  Even so, Elliot figured it out.

There is more caught than taught.

Children figure out who their parents really are, not just what the facade is that they show to the outside world.

Someday, I hope Elliot says to me (not in a bathroom):  "Dad, I'm like you.  You love Jesus and I love Jesus too."

Yes, that would surely make my day.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment