Search This Blog

Friday, March 14, 2014

"Good job!"


"Good job, Elliot!"  Elaine praised our three year old son.  "You stayed dry all day today!"

It is funny how as we age, we have to work a lot harder to get impress others.  I remember when I was seven years old, my mother would have me do large multiplication problems in my head and people would complement me (and her) for it.  But, I haven't been praised for that for a long time -- nor for staying dry all day either, for that matter.

As I think about my children, I realize that they don't need to do anything special or amazing for me to love them.  I just think they are pretty awesome just the way they are -- I'm biased that way.

There are times that I still want to impress people, but it is hard.  I don't know how to juggle, am not very good at Twister or Monopoly, and I can't stand on my head.  I can still do math in my head, but it's just not that big a deal any more.

My heavenly Father just doesn't care.  In a sense, I can't do anything that will impress Him -- He's just so much above my limited abilities.  On the other hand, I don't need to do anything to make Him love me.  God loved me before I was born and that makes me special without my doing anything at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment