Search This Blog

Monday, March 17, 2014

A Sense of Quiet


We were on our way home from church, one dark and stormy night, and the noise levels in our mini van were approaching the levels found in a small jet engine.  Elaine said, to our somewhat noisy children:  "Let's have a game and see who can be quiet the longest."

Well, there is nothing like a contest to get our children's competitive juices flowing.  There was complete silence for about twenty or twenty-five seconds.  Then, from the back seat came the plaintive voice of Elliot through the silence.  "I lose," he said.

I don't know that my children are different from other children, in that they don't like too much quiet.  One or two of them are always talking and when they are present, silence must flee.

Paul told on of the churches to "Study to be quiet." (I Thessalonians 4:11)  I believe that many teens and adults struggle against quietness.  Whether it is with music or, conversations, it is easy to make sure there is not too much quiet time in a day.

And yet, it is in quietness that God's voice speaks to me.  For, it is in those peaceful moments, when all is still, that my soul is able to reach beyond these earthly bounds.  And honestly, that has never happened in my mini van.

No comments:

Post a Comment