Search This Blog

Friday, November 29, 2013

Rich Father

 
"My Father is rich in houses and lands,
  He holds the whole wealth of the world in His hands.
Of rubies and diamonds, of silver and gold,
  His coffers are full, He has riches untold.
A child of the king, a child of the king,
  through Jesus my Savior, I'm a child of the king."
Harriet Buell (1877)


The song is called a child of the king and it makes a point that is made several places in the Bible, that God is independently wealth.  There is no end to His riches and nothing that we can give Him that he truly needs.

I remember as a younger man thinking how nice it would be if someone like Bill Gates would adopt me, just in order to leave me a huge inheritance for being as awesome as I was.  Of course, that never happened, but my Father in heaven is awfully wealthy...

It is impressive to think of God owning more things than Bill Gates and all the Saudi princes combined.  But that isn't the big thing that God is rich in.

"But God being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which He loved us..." (Ephesians 2:4).  That is what I am looking for and what I need.  For, a god who has wealth beyond compare is not going to be bothered by a little no one like me.

On the other hand God, who is merciful is always ready to hear my voice, calling on Him.  And that is more important for a sinner like me, than any other riches that I could think of.

No comments:

Post a Comment