Search This Blog

Friday, November 8, 2013

Practice What You Preach


I was at the Academy of Family Practice conference.  There were lots of lectures on various interesting subjects and strangely, lots of family doctors, as well.

As I watched them walk between sessions, I was disappointed.  Many of them were out of shape and significantly overweight and some of them looked like their last work out was some time during the Reagan administration.

This disappointed me, because I have always felt that it was important to practice what you preach.  If I expect my patients to eat a healthy diet and exercise, then I should do the same.

Strangely, scarcely a week later, I read a study which indicated that patients actually prefer to receive diet advice from a doctor who is overweight.  Is struck me badly at the time, until I understood why.

You see, must people are looking, not for someone who has it altogether, but for someone who understands who they are and where they are at in their life.  A doctor who has similar struggles with weight will be less judgmental and more understanding (at least that is what patients hope).

In the same way, we understand that Jesus came to this earth and experienced all of the struggles and trials that humans deal with -- and more, but always with victory.  He understands who we are and what we are experiencing and in those trials, He is always faithful to give us victory, when we ask for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment