Search This Blog

Monday, November 11, 2013

Worship.



Worship.  It is an area of tension in the American church today, with services ranging from rock concerts, to relatively subdued services, completely lacking musical instruments.  Some churches even offer two services -- one traditional and the other modern -- so that everyone will be happy.

As I was reading through Romans 12, in the New Living Translation, I was struck by the first verse.  In it, Paul pleads that we give our bodies to God as a living sacrifice, for "This is truly the way to worship Him."

And there you have it.  True worship isn't about me and what makes me happy.  It is about God and about me telling Him that I am His.  Whatever He plans for me, I will do.  Whatever designs He might have for my life, I accept. 

I fear that much worship, in these latter days, is devoid of personal communication and connection with God.  If worship is not personal, if there is no sacrifice involved, then we are not truly worshiping.  Or maybe it would be better to say that we may be worshiping, but we aren't worshiping God Almighty.

I am reminded of the story of Elijah, the prophet.  He was in a cave fleeing from an evil king.  The story tells that God told him to leave the cave and stand.  While Elijah was standing there, a fierce wind broke the mountain, an earthquake shook the mountain, and finally a fire passed before the prophet, but God was not in any of those things.  And when God finally came, it was the sound of a "low whisper."

As I come before God, I must be focused on Him, not myself.  For it is in silence that I hear His voice.  In stillness that He will come and I will listen.  And that is Worship.

No comments:

Post a Comment