Search This Blog

Friday, November 15, 2013

George Louis Alexander


George Louis Alexander.  It is a big name for a normal sized baby.  I suppose that when you are in line to inherit the British throne, your parents can't name you something like Vincent Daniel or, Elliot David (as awesome as those names might be).

It is funny how certain names sound kingly and others do not.  For some reason, I just can't imagine a king named Garth.  I suppose it has to do with what names have already been held by kings.  George, Louis, and Alexander are the names of well known kings from the past.

When Elaine and I were discussing the naming of our children, there were certain names that we liked, but would never use.  The reason was that we knew someone who had that name and that person had made a negative impact on one or the other of us.

Proverbs 22 says "A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches..."  Solomon was not speaking here of our names, how long they are, what they mean, or who has held a similar name.  He was speaking of our reputation.

What is it that people who know me attach to my name?  I pray that it would be good things -- not so more mothers feel good naming their sons  Vincent or, John, but because a good name is far more valuable than mountains of gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment