Search This Blog

Monday, November 25, 2013

Thankful


As a little fun activity, I had my children say things for which they were thankful.  Not surprisingly, there was a lot of "stuff" on the list.  Vince and Elliot were thankful for basketball.  Anna was thankful for school and for days off from school (sounds a little contradictory to me).  Fortunately, Vince mentioned that he was thankful for "Mom" and "Dad," although Elliot was just thankful for "Mom."

In my mind, as I listened to them, I began to compose another list, a list of things for which I am grateful to my Heavenly Father.  The list was full of things like my wonderful wife, Elaine, our three children, and a nice home.

I realized that I was doing the same thing as my children.  For, the easiest things to thank God for, are the things which I can see and touch.  But are those truly the most important things which I have been given?

The answer is "no."  In fact, I love God and am thankful, not because of what He has given me -- which is much more than I deserve -- but for who He is.  In a sense, when I make a list full of stuff, it tells God that I am thankful  only to Him as He gives me more stuff.

I believe that my prayers must change.  Instead of lists of things for which I am grateful, I would bring to my God a heart full of adoration.  For He alone is worthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment