Search This Blog

Friday, July 26, 2013

The Size of a Life


A hummingbird got into our garage and I found it, exhausted on a shelf.  Unable to rise, it lay there and I was uncertain if it was still alive until I took its tiny body in my hand and felt it attempting to flutter its wings.

It was so small, defenseless against me.  I gently took it outside and opened my hand and waited.  In a few moments, the tiny bird began to beat its wings and then flew off.

As I watched it go, I knew that it is not size that makes a life important. Though I could have crushed the life out of this tiny bird with a little squeeze of my hand, it would have broken my heart to do so.

While I had nothing to do with giving this tiny bird life.  It still seemed beautiful and valuable to me and I knew there was heavenly Father who had seen it fall trembling within my garage.

It made me wonder about abortion.  For, what kind of doctor can reach out and deliberately snuff out a life that is growing inside an expectant mother?

I know that my heavenly Father does not value a life differently, just because it is small and defenseless.  He it is who opens His hands to receive in those fragile ones who go from this earth unloved, undesired, and unborn.

"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father.  But even the hairs of your head are all numbered.  Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows."  Matthew 10:29-31

No comments:

Post a Comment