Search This Blog

Friday, July 12, 2013

Stillness



There is a real tendency to equate busyness with importance.  This is true on both a personal level and in business, as well.

It is really hard for me to deal with this, because I do tend to fill up my schedule to the maximum and feel pressure to push past that point.  At the same time, I don't deal very well with unscheduled down time.

On vacations, I need to have something to do every day.  Lounging around is not enough.  I will be intentional about my times of relaxation, even if it destroys any sense of restfulness that might be there.

At the same time, I benefit just as much as anyone with the times of stillness and quietness, when my spirit can truly commune with God.  When I can write and pray in solitude and not feel the pressures of the day beating down on my life, I truly gain strength.

I know that many people have "bucket lists" -- things that they want to do someday, places they want to go.  As I write my list, I realize that quietness needs to move up.  In fact, maybe sometimes I need to stop writing lists and just learn to be still.

No comments:

Post a Comment