Search This Blog

Monday, July 29, 2013

Descented


 I cannot smell very well, right now. This, of course, is different from saying that I don’t smell good. What I am saying, is that I have a cold and I have temporarily lost my ability to detect different aromas.

In some ways, this could be a good thing. When I can’t smell, suddenly I have no need for cologne or, deodorant. In fact, once a week baths seem too frequent.

Of course, I am being facetious. There is a need for cleanliness, whether or not I personally can detect the benefit. Just because I can’t smell at a certain point does not mean that everyone else has lost their ability to appreciate odors.

There is a tendency in a marriage to believe that just because I do not appreciate certain things, that my spouse does not either. I, for example, do not appreciate being sent flowers, but this does not mean that Elaine feels the same way.

The Bible tells us in the famous “Golden Rule” to “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” This is a good rule of thumb in many situations, but in a marriage, unfortunately, it tends to fall flat.

If you get your wife a belt-sander just because you would have enjoyed receiving one, you are bound to catch a little flack as a result. In the same way, if wives choose to get their husbands a brand-new "man-bag," they would probably have similar responses.

A better rule is to “Do unto others as they would have you do unto them.” Make the effort to think about what your wife or husband enjoys. If you don’t know, ask them. Suddenly, your ability to please them will improve a hundred-fold.

Life flies by and the little pleasures will stay with me long down the road.  I may not always have time to stop and “smell the roses,” but my wife still appreciates as many as I care to send her way.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment