Search This Blog

Monday, January 6, 2014

Resolutions


2014 is here and with the new year, comes a time that many people make resolutions.  It is time to take off thirty (or forty, or fifty) pounds.  Time to start exercising (again).  Time to start cooking more wholesome meals.  Basically time to fix the things that weren't right about 2013.

I was talking to one of my patients about weight loss and she told me "You know last year, I watched my diet until June and I lost thirty-five pounds, but then the second half of the year I gained back all but five of it!"

"That must be pretty discouraging," I said.

"Yes," she told me.  "But you know what?  It lets me know that I can really do it!  And this year is the year that I eat right and the weight will come off and stay off!"

I am not a big fan of New Year's Resolutions.  I find that they are abandoned awfully quickly and anyway, why wait for a New Year to start doing what you know you should do now?

That said, I love my patient's attitude.  For, the most important thing to learn from the failures of the past is that we are strong enough to rise again.  Even a partial success can be used to build a better tomorrow.

And with that in mind, I pray that this year would be a better year.  Not from a weight loss standpoint, but from a "drawing closer to God" standpoint.  For, He is the One from whom I draw my strength to fulfill anything else I resolve to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment