Search This Blog

Friday, October 11, 2013

Banana Flavor


It was six am at the Louisville Airport as Elaine and I stood in line at Starbucks, looking for a little calorie infusion before our flight to parts west. 

Along with my medium caffeinated beverage, I ordered a chocolate chunk muffin.  Then, we walked down to our gate.  When I sat down and took my first bite, I was disappointed.  The muffin tasted at least as strongly of banana as it did of chocolate.

The reason why was clear to me.  Right next to the chocolate muffins in the window, were banana muffins.  Now, there are some flavors and aromas that just "travel."  I discovered this when someone put mints in the chocolate drawer at work.

Suddenly, all of the Snickers bars tasted more like peppermints patties than like Snickers.

It is said that if you lie down with dogs, you get up with flees.  When you are a chocolate muffin and you lie down next to a banana muffin, you are changed when you get up -- and not for the better, in my opinion.

It is particularly hard for youth to understand this.  The concept that your friends change who you are, even without your ever realizing it, is a hard one to grasp.

The changes can be good or bad.  On one hand, it could lead to a loosening of moral standards and a crudeness of speech.  On the other hand, it can be something that lifts our hearts and lives closer to Christ.

We can choose who we associate with, but once we do, the end is fixed.  For, those who spend too much time with Banana Muffins will smell and taste like one, whether they want to, or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment