Search This Blog

Friday, May 30, 2014

Kindergarten Graduation


Vince graduated from kindergarten this morning.  I have often wondered why children graduate from kindergarten.  It isn't as though they will be moving out on their own soon or, taking driver's ed, or even helping out with the household finances.  They are just moving on to first grade, after all.

It still seems like a big deal.  A time of very little people wearing caps and gowns (purple in Paoli) and walking across a stage to shake hands with the Principal.

I suppose it would be easy to make fun of kindergarten graduations as unnecessary.  No one will make it in life (or not make it for that matter) based on their kindergarten performance. 

The short walk for Vince across the stage, was more than that.  It was indicative of a long year of work --  not just school work, but effort learning to relate to other children, to communicate with his teachers, and to grow in so many other ways.

I remember telling the teachers that it would be OK if he repeated kindergarten, if he struggled too much with it.  The most important thing was what was best for Vince.

As he walked across the stage, I thought about the fact that he had gotten all As this year.  That good things are happening in his life, that I didn't know would happen at the beginning of the school year.

I know that God is good and that He is the giver of good gifts.  And a kindergarten graduation is a good time to remember how good He has been to me and to my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment