Search This Blog

Friday, May 16, 2014

An Unnecessary Surgery


It came to pass one day that a young man passed through the pillared entrance to my office, in need of an annual examination.  I spoke with him at length about his condition and then proceeded to examine him.

Upon completion of my examination, John resumed his chair.  "John," I told him.  "You are in excellent health."

John gazed upon my countenance for a few moments and then spoke up.  "Good," he said.  "I guess I won't need a hysterectomy then."

I paused for a moment, not quite sure how to respond and then decided that the best course was agreement.  "Yes, John," I said.  "No hysterectomy for you, Sir!"

Now, John was visiting me from a local group home, so I suppose it is understandable that he wouldn't have known exactly what a hysterectomy was.  It is perhaps unusual that he would have worried about his need for such an unknown surgery ahead of his Physical.

I think it is human nature to worry about the uncertain future -- particularly about things that probably will never happen, but that seem scary to think about.  It is still better to give all these things to God, who can more than deal with them.  For, while you never know for sure whether your surgeon may decide to make an extra boat payment with an unnecessary surgery, you can be sure that God will take you through it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment