Search This Blog

Friday, February 7, 2014

The Original Diet Drink


We had finger foods at our church last Sunday.  Elaine and I were helping with the food and for drinks, that evening, we had Sweet Tea, Tang, Hot Chocolate and Water.  As I poured drinks for folks going through the line, I realized that something like ninety percent of the people took something other than water.

Of course, you could argue that the main ingredient in all of the drinks mentioned is water.  You would be correct.  Still, it struck me how hard people work to get their water to taste like something other than water.

Maybe there is something wrong with me, but I like the taste of water -- I prefer it to any other drink.  When I am thirsty, there is no other drink that will assuage my thirst like H2O.

I am reminded of the story of the Samaritan woman at the well, in John chapter 4.  Jesus offered her water -- living water and once she figured out what He meant and tasted it, she shared it with her community.

The simple water that Jesus offered this unnamed woman two millennia ago, is still available today.  Yet, I am afraid that too many people feel the need to doctor the water of life -- to make it more palatable or culturally relevant.

In the end, we must do nothing to change the gospel, or its simple truths.  For, while Gatorade and Tang may taste better to many people, Jesus came to bring us living water that will quench the deepest thirsts within us.

No comments:

Post a Comment