Search This Blog

Friday, February 14, 2014

The Secret Ingredient


"What is your favorite kind of bread, Anna?"  I asked my daughter.

"Oh," she said.  "Any kind of bread -- that you make."

Anna is a bread eater.  The verse may say that man doth not live by bread alone, but Anna would be glad to try, but only if it is home made.

I'm not totally certain what it is that gives a home made loaf its extra flavor.  Maybe it is the lack of preservatives.  Maybe that it is made in small batches -- artisanal, you could say.  Perhaps it is just that it is fresher than anything you would find in a store.

I do know that part of it is that I have practiced quite a bit.  The first couple of loaves of bread that I made were terrible.  They didn't rise more than a quarter inch and after they were baked, they were hard enough to function as weapons.

I suppose it is a lesson in perseverance more than anything else, that Anna actually likes the bread that I bake.  There have been plenty of loaves that had to be thrown out, they were that bad.

In the end, though, the biggest thing all my bread has over Aunt Millie's or Bunny is that it is baked with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment