Search This Blog

Friday, February 28, 2014

Losing Teeth


Vince has started losing teeth.  I don't actually know where or, exactly when, he lost either of the first two.  I just know that one evening they were loose and the next day they were gone.

It is an expected thing to lose teeth -- the only way, I suppose, to gain your adult teeth.  Yet, for some children the process is fairly traumatic.

This is the way of things.  For everything we lose, there is something gained.  This is part of God's plan and often, it is not the same thing that is gained that is lost, unlike teeth.

Often, it is difficult to see the thing gained.  When I lose a night of sleep doing a delivery, the next day the only thing I know for sure that I have gained is a whole lot of fatigue.  But, if I am honest with myself, there is a bundle of joy in a mother's arms that is worth many a sleepless night (as she will soon find out).

Most often the things gained are intangible.  When I am stuck in traffic, I lose time, I (hopefully) gain patience and hopefully do not lose my temper.

I will gladly lose things that I couldn't hold onto anyway, in order that I might attain.  For, I have learned that it is only as I truly give up myself that I can gain Christ and He is more than all the world to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment