Search This Blog

Monday, February 3, 2014

Complacency


I watched the squirrel dart out from the edge of the woods and rush head long for the road.  I just had time to touch the brakes on our mini van as the little creature darted just in front of our wheels, headed for the trees on the other side of the road.

It reminded me of a joke.  "Why did the squirrel cross the road?"

I don't really have an answer.  Why do squirrels do anything squirrels do?  To me, the trees on the other side of the road looked just about the same as the trees on the side of the road where the squirrel started.  Whatever else I could say about him, I do know one thing:  he was not a complacent squirrel.

It seems as though complacency is something that keeps us from moving on.  It is the feeling that life is good enough here, things aren't great, but they are OK.

That is probably OK in many areas of life, but it not acceptable when it comes to my walk with God.  Yet, it is all too easy to feel good about where I am and not strive for more closeness to Him.

To others, this effort might look as silly as a squirrel scampering across the road, but to me, it is a far more dangerous thing to be satisfied with where I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment