Search This Blog

Friday, December 20, 2013

Christmas Caroling


Christmas caroling is here again.  My nurse, Donna, and I chose eight older patients of mine who are shut in , to sing for.

It was a little stressful, gathering things together, figuring out where each person lived, and what order to visit them.  I almost wondered if it was all worth it.

You see, I remember when I was growing up, Christmas caroling for my mother's patients.  I never really knew if the patients appreciated it, but it certainly was fun for me as a kid, singing the hymns of Christmas and then, eating pizza afterward till I thought I would pop.

When I had a practice of my own, I decided that I wanted to do the same for my patients.

This year, as I sat down with my nurse and prepared the list, I was a little sad.  Three of the patients from last year's list had died.

In the end, everything was gotten together and a goodly group from our church arrived to help us carol.

As we sang, I saw in my children's eyes a joy that is too often missing this time of year.  And then, I looked up, to see an elderly man standing in his doorway, with tears streaming down his face as he listened to the songs of Christmas.

It was then that I knew why we were singing and that, without a doubt, whatever effort it took on my part, was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment