Search This Blog

Friday, December 13, 2013

The Heart of a Child


We had a snow fall of seven or eight inches, followed by another couple of inches a few days later.  Now, I have a blade for my lawn mower, but I can't push very much snow with it and so, I ended up running up and down our driveway a couple of times over the course of the day to keep it clear.

As I rode the little lawn tractor in the frigid air, with snowflakes falling on my head, I felt more than a little irritated at the soft, white crystalline water that was piling up everywhere.

That afternoon, Anna and Elliot got on their snow gear and came outside.  For the next hour or hour and a half, I saw snow through different eyes.  To them, the snow was beautiful.  It changed the familiar world into a world of mystery.  Through their vision, I could see a wonder that I hadn't felt until that moment.

It was something that I needed to remember.  For, it is awfully easy, when I am dealing with the practical aspects of life, to forget the beauty of the world that God has created.

I love photography and there are times that I wish that I lived somewhere with more beauty and majesty than the drab hills and skies of southern Indiana.  Yet, Ecclesiastes 3:11 says "He has made everything beautiful in its time..."  and it is true. 

I can't say that I enjoy shoveling snow, but it is certainly less irritating to me, when I just open my eyes to see the beauty and the wonder that surround me.  And in this, I must remember to become more like my children.  It seems to me that there is no place where the wonder of God's creation is felt so much, as the heart of a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment