Search This Blog

Monday, December 16, 2013

Scales


Scales always have a range, from worst to best, 1 to 10, or maybe from 1 to 5.  At the hospital, we use pain scales a lot and I've noticed that women who have been in labor, usually put labor pain at the top and suddenly all other pain moves down the scale.

In the same way, my "scale" for judging the quality of food is tempered by the fact that I cooked for myself for several years.  I remember that someone gave me a cooking magazine once and after I looked through it, I decided that I was going to make Gazpacho Soup.

I went out to the local grocery store and bought all the ingredients I needed (that would be all of them) and assembled them.  That was when I realized that you didn't cook the soup!  Needless to say, it was terrible.

I ate it three nights in a row and then, with tears in my eyes (thinking of starving children in Africa) I had to throw the rest of it out.  It was that bad.

In comparison, on a scale of one to ten, the worst thing my wife, Elaine, has ever cooked for me is probably about a 7.9.

I guess that's a very long winded way of saying that I appreciate my wife's cooking more, because I had to endure my own.

There are many reasons why we don't enjoy the simple pleasures that God gives us.  I believe that the most common is simply that our scales need recalibration.

No comments:

Post a Comment