Search This Blog

Friday, May 27, 2022

Presidential Biographies

 


It came to pass one day that my second born child perceived an interest in Presidential biographies.  He discovered that, along with many copies of Joel Osteen’s Classic Tome “Your Best Life Now!”, one can find a variety of Biographies for Very Little Hard Currency in various thrift stores.

So it was that our family procured a copy of Jimmy Carter’s Presidential Diary and also an autobiographical treatise of George W. Bush.  Certainly our family is not a clan with strong political views, but Vincent is a reader of voracious appetite.

“Didst Thou enjoy yon book?”  I question Vincent, indicating one of the aforementioned books.

“I think so, Dad,” Vincent responded, for truth to tell, he is often averse to stating clearly his likes for something.  He proceeded to regale me with a breakdown of what transpired during the Camp David Peace Accords.  I was much impressed.

“Wouldst Thou repeat history?”  I asked him.

“Only the good parts,” he responded seriously.  “For Dad, while there have been many sad days in History, there have been many Blessed Ones too.  It dost not seem a bad thing to read to understand how those Good Days came to pass.”

“Oh, my son,” I said.  “It comes to me that I would write a biography of Lyndon Johnson’s limousine.  Wouldst Thou read such a book?”

“Perhaps I might,” he said.  “At least if it were a Page Turner.  But why wouldst thou write such a book, for up till now thou hast not expressed interest in either cars or presidents.”

“Well, my son,” I said.  “It seems to me that this is a way to write a Presidential Auto Biography without ever visiting the Iowa Caucuses and while it might be interesting to write such a book, visiting Iowa during the Caucases is Another Story."

I thought on this subject a great deal.  It seemed to me that my son Vincent was right.  For historians are much focused on the Mistakes of the Past, but perhaps it were better to focus on the positives.

For, if life was only composed of a list of mistakes that it would be well to avoid, it seems likely that little could ever be accomplished for fear of falling into one of these pitfalls.

I thought me of a verse from Proverbs which tells, “For a just man falleth seven times and riseth up again…” (Prov. 24:16).

Everyone has times when they err, but let that not be a reason remain immobile.  Pencils are manufactured with both erasers and lead.  After we have erased an error, we may, with our Father’s help, begin again.

There are good things to learn from every life, even from the lives of former Presidents.


No comments:

Post a Comment