Search This Blog

Friday, May 13, 2022

Ambidextrous?

 


Within the city limits of the metropolis of Brookneal, there is a building wherein I ply my trade as a Medicine Man to the city and country folk who live Thereabouts.  The clinic is not very big, but we stay Almighty Busy most of the time.

Now, at this Office of Medicine, we firmly believe in the germ theory of infection.  With this theory in mind, we wash hands, apply anti-bacterial gels, and even with some procedures, wear protective devices on our hands that some call Gloves.

It came to pass that one day, my nurse opened a new box of these Nitrile Gauntlets.  I saw written in bold letters open the box that these gloves were "Ambidextrous."

Now, the term Ambidextrous carries with it different meanings.  To me, when I hear this word, I conjure an image of a masked man saying, "You are probably wondering why I am smiling.  Well, you see, I'm not Left Handed!"

I wondered in my heart if these new gloves conferred upon their wearers the magical ability to do things with their left hands that they could formerly only do with their right hands (or the reverse, as the case might be).

I decided for scientific purposes, to see how well this power might work, although not trusting it totally, I refrained from a true test, such as juggling scimitars or timing myself defusing a nuclear warhead one handed.  Instead, while wearing the gloves, I attempted to write my name with both hands.

This stunning conclusion came into view:  while the gloves might be Ambidextrous, I certainly was not.

I thought on this for some time.  It was disappointing to be sure, but since these gloves still protected their wearers from bacteria, it probably was no Big Deal.  

I thought more about the meaning of this Experience.  For, there are boxes wherein are supposed to be found Followers of Jesus, namely a Church Box.  While the church sign says one thing, the fruit of some of those found within tells a Different Story.

It is not the act of spending a few hours a week wearing gloves from a "Church Box" that makes one a Follower of Jesus.  It is when we focus ourselves on Him and seek to deny ourselves and bear our crosses that we truly become His Disciple.

Nothing less is sufficient to be a Follower of the Way, just like wearing the right gloves will not magically make a One-Handed Man Ambidextrous.

No comments:

Post a Comment