Search This Blog

Friday, November 23, 2018

The Meaning of Thanksgiving


"Where did you get your cold?"  The lady asked me.

"Who knows?  I get exposed to all sorts of germs every day," I said.

"I'm sure that's true," she said.  "With your profession I'm sure you see all people with all kinds of 'flu bugs.'"

"That may be true," I said.  "But I think I catch far more illnesses from my children than from my patients.  I can do things at work that protect me, but my children have a way of fighting through any precautions I might put into place."

Before I had children, I imagined there would be many things that I would experience when my wife and I had children.  I don't know that I ever thought it would mean that I would get to enjoy the thrills of every upper respiratory infection that passes through our little community.

What does not kill me certainly will boost the stock price of Hall's cough drops...

We have reached the time of year when we not only get flu bugs, but we have to be grateful.  Among other things, I am thankful for the minions that spread those flu bugs within our household.

I say this in a joking way, but everything good thing in our lives also has a "downside."  The difference between a grateful spirit and a pessimistic, discouraged attitude has to do with focus.

All too often, my focus is on the dark clouds and not the highlights of silver that surround them -- even when there is far more brilliance than darkness.

I am thankful for my children, even when they share their coughs and snotty noses with me.  My life is richer because of them and realizing that is the beginning of the most important part of Thanksgiving, a grateful heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment