Search This Blog

Friday, November 2, 2018

Concern for Others


The older lady looked over at me as I bent over my computer, trying to get her prescriptions in order to send to the pharmacy.  "How's your Mom?"  She asked me, conversationally.

"Oh, ahm, I think she's doing pretty well," I said, knowing that the lady didn't know my mother at all.

"Well, tell her to have a Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas from me," she said.  "And while you're at it, let her know to have a Happy Halloween too."

"Sure," I said, trying to picture my mother walking around her neighborhood dressed up as something unusual.  I just couldn't do it.

"Remind her to be sure to get all of her candy checked out before she eats any of it too," she said, imparting one last piece of pithy advice.

"I'll try to remember to let her know," I said, finally hitting send on the prescriptions.

I have many little conversations every day, some with my patients, some with my children, and some with random people I have contact with.  I don't remember most of them, but this one stood out to me.

Part of it was that it amused me quite a bit, but it was more than that.  Here was a woman who was concerned about my mother -- not because she knew her, but because she was my mother.  The concern expressed was real and not put on.

I find that it is easy to think of people we are related to and those who are our friends.  When they are in trouble, we remember them in prayer and we reach out to them when they are in need.  It is awfully easy to forget people who are just as needy, but who we don't know well or haven't seen for awhile.

There is something gained when we broaden our circles and reach out to pray for and care for people we aren't closely connected with.  The people we pray for will be blessed, but so will we, one caring pray at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment