Search This Blog

Friday, November 9, 2018

The Leading Physicians of the World!!!


"Dr. Waldron," the letter read.  "You have been picked as one of the top physicians in Brookneal, Virginia!"  The letter went on to explain to me about a book that my name would be featured in.  It wouldn't cost me anything and all sorts of people would get a copy of the book and discover how I ranked highly among my peers.  It all sounded pretty amazing.  All I had to do was go to a website and verify some biographical information.

I had to laugh.  There are only two physicians in Brookneal and for me to be picked as only one of the top doctors is not particularly a great honor.  Beyond which, it all seemed like a scam designed to get some money out of me in some way or other.

At the same time, I have to be honest and say that I did read the letter very carefully.  I've known for a long time how amazing I am, but it was a bit gratifying to have someone else realize it as well.

Advertisers and scammers know how to use our pride against us.  They see how we want to be recognized and figure out how to use that to get us to get their products.

If other humans can use our pride, Satan is ever so much better at using this weakness against us.  He sees our desires to be smarter or more beautiful or more famous and he promises that he can give us all that and more, if we will just follow his path.

There is only one problem.  Satan's path doesn't lead where he says it will.  More than that, pride will only get us into trouble.  "Pride goes before a fall..." the writer of Proverbs wrote thousands of years ago.  Nothing has change in the 21st century

It is only when I gain a humble spirit that I can move from being one of the Leading Physicians of the World to being a simple family doctor and actually help my patients.  It isn't about who gets a copy of a book with my photo in it or whether I win some award, it is about whether I take the time to listen to the 80 year old lady sitting across from me and cut her toenails for her.

Even if no one every finds out who I am, I can care for people in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment