Search This Blog

Friday, June 24, 2016

Shining


I saw a lightning bug flying through the garage the other afternoon.  It wasn't very impressive, just a stubby little insect flying slowly to a lunch meeting.  If I didn't know what it was, I certainly wouldn't have recognized it in this environment.

At the same time, I have seen these bugs many times at night.  Flickering with light, they look like tiny stars fallen to earth.  Each fire fly adds just a little bit of beauty to the summer night.

Each one of us has a place where we can shine, a place where we can make a difference.  For me, it is my office -- a place where I feel comfortable talking and sharing with people.  Oddly enough, when I am outside of the office, I often feel uncertain and less able to find words than when I am in my clinic setting.

Maybe that seems a little odd, but I believe that it is the way that God made us.  This is why He gave to each of us a set of talents and skills that we have and why He put us in the place where we find ourselves.

There is a perfect situation for each one of us to shine and our goal should be to find that place. 

Pushing ourselves into situations that don't fit our talents and personalities will not work very well.  At the same time, when we find the right place, we can shine, just like a firefly at midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment