Search This Blog

Friday, June 17, 2016

Champion Climber?


"Dad," my five year old son said to me one evening.  "I know what I want to be when I grow up."

"Really," I said.  "What is that?"  I can never tell what Elliot is going to come up with, but it is seldom something that looks to bring in lots of wealth to his family -- the other day he was planning to be a fire fighter in Guatemala -- a worthy endeavor, but probably not so lucrative.

"Yes," he said.  "I'm going to be a champion climber!"

Oh,"  I said.  "What sorts of things will you climb?"

"Well," he said thoughtfully.  "I think I will race squirrels to the tops of trees."

I have a feeling that Elliot's climbing idea will probably pass in a few days, although you never know.  At the same time, it does seem as though he is setting his sights pretty high.

If I had to say one thing about his future goals, it would be to ask that whatever he chooses as a vocation, it would be something that he can serve others in.  Setting your sights for the stars is not as important as seeing others in need and being willing to spend the time necessary to make them feel loved.

Doctor, Guatemalan Fire Fighter, Squirrel Racer, or whatever other occupation one could think of is only worth while in as much as we see the face of Jesus in the folks around us and then minister to their needs as to Him. 

So, I pray that whatever occupations my children might choose some day, that in them, they will choose to serve others.

Even it is only to help take care of the squirrels they race.

No comments:

Post a Comment