Search This Blog

Friday, June 3, 2016

Love Is...?


I don't like feet.

There are probably some people out there with beautiful feet, but in my experience, they are a part of our bodies that doesn't smell very good, is prone to infections, and often doesn't quite get the care it needs.

Part of the problem is that as folks age, along with all of the other joys that happen, their feet seem to get farther away from their arms.  This makes it hard for them to cut their nails and do relatively simple foot care.

I am not a pedicurist, but I do cut toe nails.  It is a little act of love to take out my clippers and take care of my patients in this way.  It isn't something I have a lot of training in or, something that I get paid extra to do and yet, I believe it is just as important, in its own way, as any EKG or MRI I have ever ordered.

As I cut them, I think of Jesus at the Last Supper, thinking of last lessons He could share with
His disciples.  It was clear that they still weren't getting the messages He was trying to share with them.  In that moment, He rose from the meal and took a basin and filled it with water and in love and humility, began to wash His disciples' feet.

The message was clear.  Love isn't helping beautiful and rich people become even more beautiful and wealthy.  Love is bending and serving.  Love is meeting the needs of those who cannot meet their own needs themselves.  Love is giving to those who will never return the favor.

Love is bending down, while staring death in the face, and washing the dust and grime of a Palestinian road from your disciples' feet.  Love is clipping the nails of those who can no longer reach their feet.

Love is...?

No comments:

Post a Comment