Search This Blog

Friday, April 3, 2015

Small Packages

 

"I want to see her teeth!"  Elliot said emphatically.

"Well, dear, she doesn't have any yet,"  Elaine told him.

His sister walked over.  "Victoria can't bite you, because she doesn't have any teeth!"  Elliot told her, as if this was the most important thing to settle.

Our household is still getting adjusted to a tiny package that was delivered just a week ago, after a nine month wait.  This tiny package has a name.  Victoria Grace.

As I think about my small daughter's arrival, it brings certain things to my mind.

Anything worth having is worth waiting for.

I don't know that any of us would have wanted to wait for ten months for her to arrive, but we certainly didn't want her to come any sooner than she did.  Something about waiting for her makes us love her even more, now that she is here.

The best things in life are often contained in the smallest of packages.

Victoria Grace weighed just 6 lbs 11 oz, but, she brought an amazing amount of joy and change within our home. 

It doesn't change a mother's love one bit if her baby only weighs a pound or two at birth.  The blessings are still there, the prayers are more constant, and the love even deeper, if possible, as she watches her little one fight back from prematurity.

Just because something happens normally a hundred times does not make it less of a miracle.

I have attended many deliveries in my time and perhaps by now, it should be stale.  Just one more baby entering a fairly well populated world.  But it isn't stale at all.

For, we are fearfully and wonderfully made and God's hand is clearly visible from birth on. 

As I stand by the basinet of my children and of other children that I have delivered, I silently pray a blessing on their lives.  It is a dark world.  There is much fear and hate and suffering.

I pray that in this, they might find God's light and Christ's love.

I pray that they would grow up to share it with others.

Even, share it with those who have no teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment