Search This Blog

Monday, August 12, 2013

Called


A few weekends ago, a big thunderstorm was predicted.  An 80 percent, the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration website predicted.  I went to bed early, knowing that the weather radio in my alarm clock would keep me awake most of the night.

I was pleasantly surprised  when it didn't make any noise until it was time for me to wake up.  It did make me wonder a little bit about what you have to do as a weather forecaster to get fired.

Of course, when you use "computer models" and put numbers on things, everything seems so scientific.  But obviously they are far from perfect.

In Biblical time, there were many prophets.  They were men who made their living by foretelling the future and often getting into trouble by saying bad things about the future of the country and the king.  The thing was that if their prophecies did not come true, the people were commanded to stone them (to death).

Perhaps it seems odd that anyone would go into a profession with such terrible consequences for failure.  But people didn't go into the occupation for a paycheck.  Rather they went into it because they were called.

In the case of the prophets, this meant an audible voice from God, maybe even a vision of God's glory.  Once that call came, fear of anything else went away.

While I have not read of anyone in the medical profession being stoned recently (that is, killed by people throwing stones at them), the work does require effort.  I am afraid that many people enter it because it's "a hot field," or just simply because "there's money to be made there."  So much better for to be a calling.

I am sure there are plenty of weather forecasters and people in other professions, who are just in it for the money.  But I will make a prediction that you will find no greater satisfaction than in the field to which God calls you.

No comments:

Post a Comment