Search This Blog

Friday, August 30, 2013

About Money


I came around the corner and found my two-year old, Elliot, standing in front of my daughter Anna's play cash register.  "What are you doing, Elliot?"  I asked.

"Nothing," he replied.  Then he grabbed a handful of plastic coins and began stuffing them into his pants pockets.  Then he said:  "Got money!  Lotta money!"

Now, I am not sure where Elliot got the idea that money -- of any kind -- was important.  I certainly am not in the habit of pulling out handfuls of change to show my children how rich I am.

However, money is pretty important in this world.  You have only to try to buy gasoline, or groceries without it to realize the fact that this world revolves around cash and credit.

While I am not in love with money, I am a pretty big fan of some of the things it can buy.  At the same time, I can say that I have received much more satisfaction by giving to someone in need than I have ever received through a new purchase.

In the end, money has the value that I decide to place on it -- nothing more or less.  I am not quite at the place that the Apostle Paul was when he said "But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content." (I Timothy 6:8), but that is my goal.

I would teach my children the difference between plastic and real money.   I would teach them the value of money.  But I would teach them to value relationships, love, and godliness more.  For, in these things there is great gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment