Search This Blog

Friday, October 27, 2023

Life Alert

 


“Dr. Waldron, it was the worst feeling in the world!”  The elderly man told me. 

“I can imagine,” I said. 

“I don’t even know what I tripped on.  I think I must have gotten my feet tangled up underneath me and I went down on the ground.  I didn’t hear a snap, but all I knew was that immediately there was a horrible pain in my left hip!” 

“That’s terrible,” I said.  I knew generally what had happened, but the hospital historical documents had been a little scanty on the details.  “Were you by yourself?” 

“That’s the worst of it, Doctor,” Hugh told me.  “Elsie was there, but you know how bad her dementia is.  I might as well have been by myself.  She knew something was wrong, but she couldn’t seem to figure out what to do to help.  I kept telling her, ‘Call 911 Elsie!’ and she kept saying, ‘What’s the number?  What’s the number?’” 

“Finally, I figured out that I wasn’t going to get any help from her and so I dragged myself across the floor to where my cell phone was sitting on top of a dresser and I pulled myself up and was able to call for help.  Fortunately, they came pretty quick and took me to the hospital.  I never want to go through that again!” 

This, of course, is why medical alert companies have sold so many bracelets and necklaces.  I have read that there around 17 million devices sold that promise to alert someone if you have fallen and cannot get up. 

Psalm 145:14 says, “The Lord upholdeth all that fall, and raiseth up all those that be bowed down.”

None of us wants to fall.  The famous quote is that it isn't the fall that hurts you, it is the sudden stop, but regardless of the cause of the pain, as we get older, neither falls, sudden stops, or their aftermath are fun to experience.  

Of course, not at all falls are physical.  Some are of a deeper variety and yet even there, God has promised to forgive and heal and to restore.  We may be bowed down with pain, but He will raise us up, if we only let Him.

It is such a blessing to serve a God who knows our weakness and listens to our cries when we are hurting.  It is encouraging to realize that even on days with more gravity, He will continue to help us up.  He is even better than a life alert bracelet, for He is always there -- even when the bracelet is on the counter and we are on the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment