Search This Blog

Friday, March 25, 2022

Waiting on a Check Up


 


Within the Metropolis of Brookneal there is one store wherein are traded food stuffs that some call Groceries.  It came to pass that after work one day, I passed to this location on an Errand of Mercy.  For, I went with three silver pennies and a little more money besides, to purchase a gallon of milk.  Without this, my family would have suffered the terrible fate of drinking water.

It is perhaps surprising considering the size of Brookneal, but I often see people at this Market of Groceries who I know.  There are times when I even see an individual who is a patient at the office where I work.

On this particular evening, I met a man in the Dairy Aisle.  He was one with whom I am acquainted, and he did not seem very pleased to see me.

As I greeted him, he cast a rueful glance upon his shopping cart and I could see that it had within its confines Soft Drinks, Chips, and even a Couple of Packages of Oreos.  I felt within my heart that perhaps he too, was on an Errand of Mercy.

And yet, I said nothing.  For, I am no Angel of Judgment to whip my patients into shape when I am not with them.

"Good to see you," I said to him, by way of greeting.

"Good to see you," he told me in return and then grudgingly said.  "I think it's about time for me to come down and see you again.  Only, I need to get things into shape a little better first.  I'm afraid of where my numbers would be right now if you checked them."

I bestowed on him a smile of the rosiest nature.  "You know where to find me," I told him.  "Don't wait too long."

I am a Medicine Man, but I have also been a patient.  I know the desire that each of my fellow citizens has to get a Good Report and to hear the words, "Well Done, Good and Faithful Patient!" 

I know too, that honesty is more important.  It is better to get a real evaluation of where your health is, than to get a glowing report based on six weeks of Better Than Normal Behavior.

I am afeared that many believe the same thing about church.  It seemes clear that many believe the idea that churches are buildings wherein amazingly Holy lords and ladies go to celebrate their marvelous purity of character.

While this is a widespread belief, the reality is totally different.  I am a sinner, Saved by Grace.  This is true for every Christian.  If, Christians experience holiness, it is because of Jesus' work in our lives, not because there is some intrinsic Awesomeness that brought us to the Foot of the Cross.

While it might seem important to clean things up before setting foot in church, it is better just to go.  It is the sick who need a doctor.  It is sinners who need a Savior.

Jesus knows who we are and came to bring us Life, regardless of how dirty and stained we feel ourselves to be.  It is easy to put it off till we improve things a little bit.

Still, He calls us.

Don't wait too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment