Search This Blog

Friday, March 18, 2022

Spaghetti and Joy

 


One evening, it so passed that I returned to my place of abode and my sundial showed that it was about six hours after noontime.  And behold, though it was a pleasant spring day, I found within my dwelling place much weeping and wailing, so much so that I wondered if my beloved wife had departed for some western state like Ohio, for to seek her Fortune.

On reaching the kitchen, I discovered my Beautiful (if a bit Frazzled) wife trying to Whip Up some spaghetti for our evening meal.

As I began to explore the reasons behind each of my children’s angst filled voices, I found different reasons, none of which seemed too terrible to me.

One child had a paper to write and was having a Hard Time starting on it.  Another child just had “Too much Homework!”  The youngest member of our household had foregone her nap in favor of a Full Helping of Misery.

To top it all off, one of our five Two-Legged-Sunbeams had decided that she Hated Spaghetti.  This was a singular development as spaghetti is close behind Apple Pie, Baseball, and Beef Jerky as something all true blooded Americans like.

So it was that our supper meal was a Mournful Affair with a sense of relative despair over the Small but Terrible things of this life.

I considered well the angst with which my family was afflicted.  Fortunately, not every evening is so filled with anguish, but it seems to me that this is simply a manifestation of a lack of joy.

Joy is that essential characteristic that allows humans to weather the small things and the large trials of life with a sense of hope.  As Nehemiah told the people, “This day is holy unto our Lord:  neither be ye sorry; for the Joy of the Lord is Your Strength.”

Many times I have experienced a lack of both Joy and Hope.  This is never because of a lack on my Father’s part, but only because I let the trials of life cloud my vision.

God is faithful and can provide Joy for every situation.

He even provides sufficient Joy to deal with Spaghetti for Supper.


No comments:

Post a Comment