Search This Blog

Friday, January 11, 2019

"Keep Working Till Lunch!"


"I'm hungry, Mom," Vince said.

"Well, maybe you could have some peanut butter crackers while you are waiting for me to get lunch done," Elaine told him.

"But Mom, at school I would be on lunch break now," Vince said.  "It is 12:08 and my break usually starts at 12:00."

Our children had a work at home day, due to a death in our congregation and Vince was trying to keep to his school schedule. 

"Vince, I'm afraid it will be a bit after 12:30 before I will have lunch done,"  Elaine said.  "But we will eat eventually."

"But what am I supposed to do until then?"  Vince asked my beautiful wife.

"Keep doing your school work, Vince,"  Elaine said.  "Wouldn't it be nice to actually be done with it by the time we sit down for lunch?"

Of course, this is a simple question.  Wouldn't it be nice to have your work done?  Unfortunately, the answer is complex.  Most children would like to be done with their school work at the earliest possible time, but they don't necessarily want to focus themselves on their work in the way necessary to produce this early completion time.

God has given us tasks to do.  Jobs, people to minister to, and even, children to prepare lunch for.  I think our tendency is to ask for more breaks.  "I've been working for awhile," we tell Him.  "Can you give me just a bit of time off now?"

His answer is to gently tell us to keep working for a bit longer.  He will give us strength for the moment and just as surely, at the right time, He will give us a break.

Perhaps God's schedule is not what we think it should be.  Maybe we think he should have more built in break time, but in the end, like everything else about Him, His schedule is perfect.

We just have to keep working till lunch time.

No comments:

Post a Comment