Search This Blog

Friday, January 18, 2019

The Fastest Way?


"What's the fastest way from school to the orthodontist's office?"  My son, Vince asked me.

"I don't really know," I answered.  "Mom is usually the one who takes you all.  I suppose you go up 501 to Brown's Mill Road and go up to Lynchburg from there."

"Yes, but that's only part of the way,"  Vince told me, sagely.  "Mom discovered awhile ago that taking Candler's Mountain Road is not the fastest way to get there."

And with this, he launched into a detailed explanation of the correct route.  Sometimes I wonder if my son is part GPS.  Certainly if you ever get lost in Campbell County, Vince is the person you should have on speed dial to set you back on the right track.

Vince is very much focused on the "best" way to get to different places.  By this, he means the fastest way to reach that place.

I have a bit of the same feeling.  When I am on a trip, much like a runner at the Olympics, I am always looking for ways to shave a few seconds of our time to reach our destination.  At the same time, my focus should not only be on the destination, but on the journey to get there.  So much of life is a journey -- a trip made with others at our sides.  Some day, those fellow travelers will not be there and will have moved on to travel their own paths.

A day in which I walk beside my children and make some memories is a good day, even if no great goal is achieved or destination is reached.  My goal is not to get anywhere as fast as possible, but rather to enjoy the journey, seeing the sights and taking time to be with my fellow travelers on the path our heavenly Father has for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment