Search This Blog

Friday, August 10, 2018

The Best Meal...?


"How are you this morning?"  I asked my patient.  It was 8:30 on a Thursday morning.

"Really hungry!"  She told me.  "You know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and I missed it to come and see you."

"Oh," I said.  "I'm sorry.  What do you usually eat for breakfast?  A pop tart?"  Attempting a little humor seemed in order...

I should have known better.  The older woman I was speaking with was not amused.  "A pop tart isn't breakfast!"  She told me heatedly.  "That's wrong with young people these days.  They eat stuff like that instead of real food for breakfast!"

"What do you usually eat for breakfast?"

"Well, I usually start with sausage or bacon, then I have an egg, and I usually finish up with some grits."

I happened to have a resident physician working with me.  I looked over at him.  "Do you like grits?"  I asked him.

"No sir," he replied.  "I've tried them, but I can't get past their texture."

This launched another set of comments from my patient on the subject of how good grits were and how these days you could get a variety pack at Food Lion with three different flavors in them.

As my patient gave me an earful, I thought about breakfast.  It is often touted as the most important meal of the day, though to be honest, I don't know who has actually ranked them.  Mine often consists of toast and jelly and seems to be adequate to get me through to lunch time.

Breakfast may be the most important meal of the day, but more of a priority for me is to spend some time with God before I start my day.  I suppose I pray for a number of things, but most of all, that I could be His servant that day, serving Him as I minister to my patient's needs..

By noon, my toast and jelly are long digested (as would grits be if I ate those), but the strength I get from my time with God is still there.  It is why, even though breakfast is so important, I could skip it in a pinch, but I can't skip my time with my Heavenly Father.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for every other informative site. The place else may just I get that kind of information written in such an ideal means? I have a venture that I’m just now operating on, and I have been on the look out for such information.
    Miami Meal Prep

    ReplyDelete