Search This Blog

Friday, August 24, 2018

Changing Computer Systems


"So are you excited about the change?"  The older man asked me.

"Well, not exactly," I said.

"Is it going to be better than what you have now?"  He asked quizzically.

"That's what they keep telling me,"  I replied.  "It's just that I'm used to the computer system that we have now and even if it isn't perfect, I guess I'm just comfortable with its faults."

I've never been a big fan of change.  I usually have toast for breakfast with peach jelly, unless I decide to change things up with blackberry jelly instead.  For seven years during my Medical School and Residency I had Raisin Bran (always Post, never Kellogg's) every morning for breakfast.  Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic may not have stopped it from sinking, but it isn't likely to help my living room either.  I tend to keep the same routine and it doesn't bother me at all.

Those are relatively unimportant things, but there comes a time when we need change in order to achieve something better.

There is always some pain when we make the decision to move from where we are to improve something in our lives.

Change is necessary in many aspects of life, but it is seldom self-initiated.  Our goal must be to pro-actively decide on the areas we need to grow in occupationally or spiritually and then decide what we going to do to begin that growth.

Only then can we transition from stable mediocrity (but relative comfort) to the men and women God created us to be.  We may not like the change, but in the end we will survive and be better for it -- even the process of changing electronic health records.


No comments:

Post a Comment