Search This Blog

Friday, August 3, 2018

Corn Smut

"Dad," Vince told me, as we were husking corn from our garden.  "Do you wish that our corn had smut on it?"

"No, Vince," I said.  "I'm really glad we don't have corn smut in our garden."

For those who don't know, there is a fungus (Ustilago maydis) that can affect corn and turn the kernels large and black.  It certainly doesn't make sweet corn look appetizing.  I'm guessing it changes the taste considerably too.

"Did you know, Dad," Vince told me.  "Corn smut is actually more nutritious than the ears of corn it is found on?"

"Really?"  I asked.  Sometimes talking to Vince is like talking to a Wikipedia article.

"Yes," Vince said, warming to his subject.  "There are farmers in Mexico who get permission from the Mexican government to infect their corn plants with smut.  They call it 'Mexican Truffles.'  I guess it sounds better than corn smut on a restaurant menu."

"Wow, it sounds tasty,"  I said, a little sarcastically I'm afraid.   "Would you like to eat some Mexican Truffles?  We could try to find some."

"No!"  Vince said.  "I would not like to eat that at all."

The concept of corn smut is interesting, the application is a different story.

Over my years of being a physician, I have met many people who thought that the idea of lifestyle modification was interesting.  I have met few who were committed to the changes needed to really eat healthily and begin a consistent exercise plan.

It is always a challenge to move from the contemplation stage to the action phase.

Even more, we have a challenge of being Christians in more than just name.  I hear people say that this world would be a better place if people just did what Jesus said and that is true.  It is a great concept, but living as a follower of Jesus doesn't happen by accident.

At the same time, we must move from the concept of Christianity to a true relationship with Jesus Christ.  We can know everything about Christianity and without that relationship and the changes that it brings to our lives, it is worthless.  Just like knowing everything about corn smut isn't much good if you never eat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment