Search This Blog

Friday, April 21, 2017

Evicting Peeps!


"How have your sugars been doing, Linda?"  I asked the older lady sitting across from me.

"Well, I will tell you the truth," she said, a little sheepishly.  "I got some marshmallow Peeps last week and I opened the package to let them get just a little stale."

"So, yesterday, I went in to check on them and they were just the perfect amount of staleness!" (I heard in her voice the sound of a wine connoisseur describing a fine vintage).  "I just couldn't help myself!  I ate the whole package, all ten of them!"

"I guess it isn't surprising, but my sugar was 263 last night," she finished.  Then, almost defiantly, "But I think it was worth it!"

I suppose it goes without saying, but marshmallow peeps are not on any diabetic diet that I've discovered to this point.  Their nutritional value is actually less than zero.  And yet, for those who like them (I am one), they are a definite temptation.

People with diabetes probably shouldn't buy food that will push their sugars in the 260s.  What is in your cabinets will eventually be consumed (barring a Peep Burglar breaking in to steal them).

I suppose it is pretty obvious, but each one of us struggles with different temptations.  For many, the thought of eating ten peeps is a nauseating one, bordering on torture.  For others, it is something that is difficult to resist.

Still, I have found it easier to resist eating the Peeps at Walmart than in my home...

Obviously, there are a lot worse temptations out there than marshmallows and sugar.  So often, the beginning of victory over temptation is simply the realization that something is a temptation that is too hard to resist.  The next step is to avoid it.  Giving it room in our homes is merely the beginning of defeat.

Time to evict those Peeps from the cabinet!

No comments:

Post a Comment